Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lucifer and sex

So, I have been thinking about the type of character I would like Lucy to evolve into.  How do I want her to grow?  In which direction do I want her to lean?  Do I want her to be a close embodiment of myself, someone completely different, or elements of both?

I do know this - Lucy is not a sexual person and will not ever be.  I have never been interested in portraying sex scenes in my writing and, honestly, they bore me when I read them in other people's work.  I may supply a reference to sex as it relates to a character but there's hardly any drawn out sex scenes in my fiction.   In any case, I have always felt that black fiction can be exciting without it.  This is why the very popular genre of Black Erotica is lost on me;  I just find it all very banal and ordinary. 
(I have now found my groove and actove to write about fucking.  People evolve as writers. :))

I have been doing a lot of structure work on my book.  I foolishly believed that I could have it done and to my standards of perfection in three months, before Fall classes start on August 15th.  I'm good, but not that good.  This book is going to take a while.   I have resigned myself to this, and I feel okay about it.  I usually have a problem with feeling like I am not accomplishing anything when I put my mind to do something.

So, I will be writing a lot up until the first day of school but it will taper down quite a bit after then.  I am registered for 16 hours -- 5 classes, one with a lab!  I'm going to be very busy studying and doing classwork.

In the meantime, my summer has been going great.   I have decided to stick around in this apartment (again), and I just want to be happy where I am while making it known that some changes need to be made.  I do need to start writing in this blog more often and I want it to become sort of a diary.

Can that happen?  I guess there's only one way to see. And that is by doing it.

No comments: